During the past twenty years, the standards that have been laid out for child safety equipment has been set by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. They have taken an active role in preventing child injuries and even death when it comes to consumer products that cater to children's needs.
The following five tips are designed to help you better maintain your child's safety if he is at the age where he needs to sit in a highchair:
- If you have a folding highchair, then be sure that the locking device is secure each time you set it up for your child.
- Ensure that you select a chair that has a wide base. This is to prevent the highchair from being tipped over if someone accidentally bumps against it.
- Do not allow your child to stand up in the highchair, for obvious reasons.
- Never forget to strap your child into the safety strap whenever he sits in the chair.
- Avoid placing the highchair anywhere near a counter or a table. He may be able to push against the counter just hard enough to tip the chair over.